How can we help?
Fixing global roaming issues for overseas
If you have already set up global roaming and you're currently overseas but it's still not working then here are some tips to help get your internet running.
Visit Roaming Countries to check that you have the correct roaming add-on for your destination. If your desired country is not listed in the available roaming packs then you can purchase a Cash Allowance add-on for casual roaming.
Login to My Slingshot Mobile to make sure that your roaming add-on has not run out of available data or credit.
For Android: In Settings, click on Connections. Then switch off the WiFi button.
For IOS: In Settings, click on WiFi. Then switch off the WiFi button.
If you require assistance on adding the access point, we recommend consulting your smart phone manual or conducting your own research.APN Name: SlingshotDataAPN: wapaccess.co.nzProxy: [not set]Port: [not set]Username: [not set]Password: [not set]Server: [not set]MMSC: [not set]MMS proxy: [not set]MMS port: [not set]MCC: 530MNC: 05Authentication type: [not set]APN type: default (type this in)APN protocol: IPv4Once you have saved the APN settings, reboot your phone and try access the internet. If it is still not working after 5 minutes then try these Telecom settings instead:APN Name: TelecomData or TelecomInternet
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Server: leave blank
MMSC: leave blank
MMS: proxy leave blank
MMS: port leave blank
APN: default (type this in)Once you have saved the APN settings, reboot your phone and try access the internet.
Does Slingshot mobile have Global Roaming?
We sure do! We try to keep these rates as up to date as possible, but please be aware that roaming charges are set by the local network that you are connected to and not by Slingshot.
Things to be aware of for Global Roaming:
- Global roaming is activated on your mobile phone by default.
- You are required to purchase the Cash Allowance add-on for $15 or one of our roaming packs (which you can see here) in order to use Global roaming. The service will cease once any cash allowance or minutes in your Roaming pack expire or are consumed.
- Rates change rapidly and are dependent on the local carrier in the country you're visiting.
- Mobile Data Roaming will need to be enabled on your handset in addition to purchasing a pack. The manual that came with your handset should have instructions on how to do this.
- To find out where in the world you can roam, click here.
If you want to use the internet while overseas then you will need to make sure that your Mobile Data and Data Roaming are both switched on.
1. In Settings, click on Connections.
2. Then click on Mobile Networks.
3. Then switch on Data Roaming. (This will only pop up when you are overseas.)
4. Swipe down the menu panel and make sure Mobile Data is on.
1. In Settings, click on Mobile.
2. Then make sure Mobile Data is switched on.
3. Then click on Mobile Data Options.
4. Then click on Data Roaming.
Once you have enabled the mobile settings, it will automatically search for a suitable GSM network to connect to in the new country. Please note this may take a few minutes.
Rates will depend on the local carrier of the country you are visiting however you are required to purchase the Cash Allowance add-on in order to utilize the local carrier rates. The great thing with this is that there won’t be any nasty bill shocks when you get home from your trip!
For information on how to purchase these roaming add-ons, please visit the following FAQ here.
There are no reasons why we would block your mobile while you are roaming overseas. The most likely cause of your service not working is that you have run out of minutes or texts included in your add-on.
If you still have credit on your phone but can’t access any services, then you can contact us from anywhere overseas by ringing +649 915 7575 - bear in mind that this will be an international call to a New Zealand landline, so charges may apply.
Have you tried our app?
The My Slingshot App makes it easy to keep track of usage, payments, and loads of other handy things.
- Still have questions? Request support.